Early Interevention to Preschool Transition

Filled with anxiety, joy, sadness and uncertainty.

I had to come to terms with Beast turning three and all the massive change that came with it.

Three meant exiting Birth to Three services, saying goodbye to my amazing team, massive routine changes and the BIG one: sending my son to school....

I know all parents have issues with sending their kid to school for the first time.

Are they going to make friends?
Is their teacher going to be nice?
What am I going to do during this time?
I hope they behave?
My baby is growing up so soon?

I know that there are many things that parents worry about when they let go of their child's hand for the first time to enter a new chapter in their lives.

I wish my worries were that simple.

Before entering Preschool for Beast we had to have a invitational PPT to discuss evaluations and sign forms of consent for testing for placement and skill assessment for a diagnosis for the school. Lots of paperwork is filled out, concerns are expressed and questions asked on both ends.

If you're thinking "but my child already has already diagnosis! A medical one at that!"

IT DOES NOT MATTER...

The district needs to do their own evaluations and testing to deem your child services based on their needs when entering Preschool, an education classification. The ASD diagnosis you have might not be the one they want to give you at the school.

They might say " Your services are based on your child's needs and the label doesn't matter. A  DD/developmental delay label will get you the same services."

Excuse me as I laugh....
Yes, in Preschool your child will get the same services, but what you don't know if that at the tri annual review of your child's services that classification NO longer exists!

IF YOUR CHILD IS AUTISTIC YOU WANT THE ASD CLASSIFICATION FROM THE START! It is a CYA/Cover Your Ass and ensure that at you child's triennial review that the academic classification is appropriate and does not disappear.
(I my district getting them to change from a DD to ASD classification after Preschool, usually results in having to hire an advocate.)

There are amazing educators out there who will advocate for each and every child that comes through their door. They will make sure that no matter your plan says that they will individualize their services to meet your child's needs, BUT that is a luck of the draw kind of thing and you can not take that chance on hopeful optimism. Harsh and sad I know; by no means am I bashing teachers, their jobs have become harder and harder because of administrative change due to federal mandates etc...(This is a whole different blog post)

I digress.....

Make sure if you do NOT know what something is that you ask!

The school district will be asking for permission to administer OT/Occupational Therapy, SLT/Speech Language Pathology evaluations, ADOS/Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, more than likely an FBA/Functional Behavior Assessment to make a BIP/Behavior Intervention Plan.

Beast did all of his evaluations and at the last evaluation one I was told what their recommendations
were for Beast. SCC/Self contained classroom and the label would be discussed at the transition PPT.

I was SHOCKED!

Remember that if you are in Birth to Three or another Early Intervention program to ask loads of questions, make sure that the “I” in IEP/Individualized Education Program is truly there.

I needed to find out if the ASD label really matters. For me it does. The label means more services, attention to sensory and social areas, and more data collection. The data collection is a safety net for me to track his gains. I need to know that the district is doing what they are supposed to be doing, that my son is getting the services that he is supposed to, and making sure that he is getting something out of them.

What are my options: an Integrated Classroom or Self Contained Classroom?
I had to learn about LRE/Least Restrictive Environment, what it is and why it matters. What a SCC/Self Contained Classroom is, how it would benefit or hinder my son. SCC is a class that has no NT/neurotypical peers, only children with “special needs”.  An Integrated Classroom has typical peers in the classroom alongside special needs students to help with peer modeling.

Beast’s Transitional PPT went pretty well. Some of the wording was not my favorite, but he got a good plan. I was happy that they didn’t argue with me about the ASD label and that he was getting direct OT services even though he was right on track. The OT stated that because of his sensory needs being such a big part of how he functions that she wanted him to  have direct services. I asked about LRE and why the choice for SCC was the best choice for Beast. We talked about how with him in this environment he would get more 1 to 1 services, the classroom is smaller in size, that he would be able to have less distraction and be able to build the necessary skills to be able to function in an integrated classroom. The biggest reason that I was okay with the decision is because I really liked his teacher. We were able to go see the classroom and meet his teacher before the transitional PPT. Beast responded really well to her and I felt at ease with her. She answered all of my questions and was really amazing with him.

The suggestion for SCC was a hard for me, I had to really think about the pros versus my understanding of the law and how things should be.

Weighing the options and trying to figure out what is the best choice for my son and his needs now.
I had to make the right choices for him and go with my gut instinct. I had to remember that nothing is set in stone and if something isn’t working I have the right to request a meeting and change the plan. I am his parent, I have control of his education and if the district doesn’t like it, I have the power to call and advocate for the best interest of my son.

I am his best advocate.

Sending your child to school for the first time when you have an Autistic child is a whole new world.

Nothing about it is simple.

Know your rights, know the law and stand your ground.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog